My good friend Sharon tagged me for a meme. Does anyone really read these things? I wonder. No matter: it’s a good warm-up for today’s writing.
1. Do you have any nicknames?
I don’t (other than my blogging name, that is). Strangers sometimes call me Mel, but I try to shut that down in a bigfathurry. Mel sounds to me like like a fry cook at a backwoods diner. No offense to hash-slingers anywhere, but I just don’t like it. Please, call me Melodye.
2. What one place have you visited that you can’t forget and want to go back to?
Italy inspires me–Rome, especially. It’s a life-out-loud kind of city, full of animated people and architectural genius. There, like no other place in the world, I feel the soul of all civilization and the heartbeat of our common history.
3. What are some of your favorite scents?
Vanilla-hazelnut coffee, fresh brewed on a Sunday morning. Baby powder and the fresh scent of a newborn’s tiny head. Gardenias and roses, lavender and sage. Puppies. Freshly-squeezed oranges and grapefruit.
4. If you had a million dollars that you could only spend on yourself, what would you do with it?
I’d buy a beautiful home in Montecito, California, nestled into the mountains and with expansive views of the Pacific Ocean. I’d set it up as a retreat, where women and girls of all ages would be welcome. I’d have horses and puppies and cats and books, lots of books, plus flower-lined hiking paths and Zen gardens.
Oh, wait. Did you say I only have a million dollars to spend? That sum would hardly finance all of this! But hey, a girl can dream…
5. Do you trust easily?
Yes. Some say it’s a miracle, all things considered. I call it a leap of faith, one that I’m happy to take.
6. Do you generally think before you act, or act before you think?
I suspect I do some of my best thinking mid-flight. But my yoga teacher once told me, "You’re always flying. I invite you to work on your landing skills." There’s truth in that, as well.
7. Is there anything that has made you unhappy these days?
I’ve been sad, but not unhappy.
8. What’s your favorite image you have saved to your computer?
A photo of my intimate family. They’re the center of my universe.
9. How many colors are you wearing now?
Two: black and white. I’m not even sure they’re colors, but there you go.
10. What was the last book you read?
WATER FOR ELEPHANTS. I enjoyed it very much.
11. What would you do with an extra five hundred dollars right now … the only catch being that you have to spend it within a week?
If it was "walking-around money," I’d buy copies of my all-time favorite books, and I’d have contest give-aways on my blog.
12. What should you be doing right now?
Revisions for WITNESS. Your turn, if you’d like to do this meme. I’ve gotta go now–‘bye!